In 2007 the New South Wales Government announced that a new $11 million police station was to be built in Windsor. It was to replace the old station on the corner of Bridge and Court Streets. For many years this new police station had been muted by various politicians, only to be put on the back burner as soon as they were elected.
So, this announcement was viewed with scepticism by staff. Finally, it was announced hat the site selected was ‘old convict land’ in Mileham Street, Windsor – land the police had owned for many years.
The old station held many memories for hundreds of officers, and she was worn out and straining at the seams. On the 28th February 2009, the Police Minister, Paul Kelly MP, turned the first sod to mark the commencement of the building of the new Hawkesbury Local Area Command, and on the 29 March 2010 the Command moved into a state-of-the-art police station.
This book is a record of the Windsor Police Station from 1862 until 2010 and whilst it covers the history of the Windsor Police Station, Heather Smith has included personal stories from the Officers who served at the Station.